Tuesday 1 April 2014

Skydiving and the RNLI




I don't normally post pictures of myself here on my blog but today I am going to make an exception and post not one but two pictures! Please do excuse me the indulgence but it is for a very good reason.

The blog title is Skydiving and the RNLI and you may ask how the two go together. Well it is simple really.
The RNLI - our fourth emergency service, which is staffed by volunteers, have put out an appeal for daredevils...
to do a record attempt tandem skydive this coming June.
I always remember seeing John Noakes back in 1970 on Blue Peter, doing a freefall jump from 5 miles up with the Red Devils, and I thought "Cool! I want to do that!" So when this latest appeal plopped into my timeline I couldn't resist the call to arms, and what better charity to do it for?! It may not be the solo freefall I dreamed of but a tandem jump from 2 miles up would be a great start.
I'm all signed up!

Mad! I hear you say? Well ok, maybe a weenie bit. If you are uttering "madness" to yourself as you are reading this, beware. I may be asking you to put your money where your mouth is. Infact, I would like you all to think about those wonderful volunteers who do a brilliant service around our coast, and consider how you might be able to help.

Apparently there is still time to sign up if you want to become a daredevil too. Registration closes on 11th April, and the event will take place in four locations in England. Alternatively, if you want to keep your feet firmly on the ground, you can, if you wish, part with a little cash to let me jump out of the aeroplane for you! CLICK HERE if you would like to go to the donations page. However, if you would like to go about it in the old fashioned way with pen, 'special' paper and an envelope CLICK HERE to ask where to send it!
I am looking to raise a minimum of £400 - and indeed more if I can, for this wonderful organisation, who, as regular blog followers will know, I support in any way I can.

And the picture above? It was taken this morning at Airkix Milton Keynes where I had taken himself on a (belated) anniversary treat, and where we donned our superman-style overalls and silly headgear before falling into the 1.2 million cubic feet per minute airflow. (They sure had to crank up the airflow to keep himself airborne though!)
It was so much fun and I thought what better day to announce my participation in the upcoming skydiving charity event for the RNLI

However, one set of overalls I won't be opting to slip into before exiting the aeroplane is the one I am modelling below.
I will just continue to have the greatest respect for those who do slip into this kit without a second thought.



1 comment:

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.