Wednesday 29 January 2014

Glasgow




I have to admit to having always been scared of Glasgow. As I grew up, I had heard many not so nice stories about the place. Less than ten years ago even, I still had an element of reserve as I drove through the city on route further north to 'the nice parts'.
Since then, I have seen snippets of interest coming from the city. The regeneration; the coming Commonwealth Games; the interesting design both old and new.
After a number of people had said I should visit, I felt it was time for a reappraisal. I had just such an opportunity at the weekend, and combined a trip to the Celtic Connections festival with a chance to see the city. Armed with my little G12 just for ease, I explored. Taking in The Merchant City, The Lighthouse, Argyll Arcade, Central Station, Riverside, the 'Smartie Tube', The Hydro, the 'Armadillo', the Riverside Museum and many places in between, it was such a tiny bit of the city.

I'm so glad!  What a fascinating place for the style, architecture and design as well as finding the locals to be very friendly. Never again will I just associate Glasgow as the land of the Rab C Nesbitt types. I have a new view of the city which is much better. Here is a little taster of how I saw it:

(By clicking on the first image above, all of the images will come up as a slide show.)

Enjoy - I did!


















































































6 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about it too and your images are stunning (as ever!). I've never been anywhere in Scotland, but I must add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Su.
      I know we will be planning to go north of the border again - still so much to see.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe you came to Glasgow and nevr said 'Hi'....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooops!
      Time was so short - next time ...as we have to visit again

      Delete
  3. Wonderful architectural imags, can see how your design eye comes to play in these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      (Glad Blogger let you in to comment finally :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.