Sunday 10 March 2013

Surprises and Wishes



On Tuesday I was basking in the comparatively balmy temperatures of 13+ degrees whilst out on my daily walk.
It was beautiful!
Finally, after a miserable Winter, Spring was with us at last...

...or was it? This morning we woke to a covering of snow and had to face almost blizzard-like conditions out on the walk. Although a change of weather had been forecast, it had still surprised us.

During this time of changeable weather, it is more important than ever to continue with feeding the garden birds, and as a result it becomes a source of pleasure to sit and watch the birds from our kitchen window. Our avian neighbours arrive with eager anticipation for the daily helping of meal worms which I put out on the wall. Next, they are all carefully gobbled up, unbelievably systematically, from left to right, dunnocks, wood pigeons and blackbirds all arriving for a share.

However, some seem to secure a larger share than others, and it has been noted that the female blackbirds, of which there appear to be two regulars, come in for their essential nutrition in preparation for the impending breeding season. So in need are they, that they do anything to chase off all other food contenders in their quest, over-sized wood pigeons included. They are feisty to the degree that even the male blackbirds have learnt to give them a wide berth, just as this one I caught today, always keeping half an eye to ensure they don't get surprised by the future mother of their brood.

Motherhood (existing or impending) is clearly powerful both in the natural world and in our own lives, and so with that, I would like to send my wishes to my mother and thank my own off-spring for their wishes too on this Mothering Sunday.

To mothers everywhere, all good wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.