Tuesday 29 May 2012

Six Weeks and Counting



Apart from Cambridge Open Studios being this region's largest art event, it is also my biggest push of the year.
Whilst I take part in other shows during the year, this is the one where my all-new work is produced and shown.

The planning began as I packed away COS 2011 and has been in and out of my thoughts on a regular basis since. Not only do I have to prepare my exhibition work but as with all open studio events, the studio itself has to be prepared to make it visit-worthy. That means for two weekends, my domestic environment is completely re-arranged to turn home into gallery. If anyone knows the usual organised mess I work in, they will know it is quite a miracle transformation (and I'm sure I am not the only artist that this is applicable to) but somehow, transform it does.


My focus this year is 'Local' meaning anything within a 25 – 30 mile radius of here and it seems quite appropriate that I have also had a second local focus to work on. Cambridge Open Studios is a huge event, this year with over 250 members opening 180 studio doors to the public. Technically we are out of county, but as we come under the Cambridge postcode area, we can also be members of one of the longest established open studio organisations in the UK. However, being 'out in the (relative) sticks' has its problems too so this year a group of 13 of us artists have pulled together to try and shout out that Open Studios happens here in our little corner too.

Saffron Walden & District Trail brings us all together in one convenient leaflet to complement the now familiar yellow Cambridge Open Studios guides that appear at this time each year. Our studios range from pottery to chair making, photography to printmaking, textile art to illustrating and of course, a wide range painting styles. Whilst this year we are unlikely to have a web presence of our own, the trail leaflet provides visitors with the information needed to get started. It will soon be available in our area, and found in galleries, shops, libraries, tourist offices, in fact, the same locations as the main guide.

So, do look out for the Saffron Walden & District Trail leaflet, pick up a copy along with the main guide and make a plan to come and visit us during the weekends in July.

Weekend 1  July   7­­­ – 8
Weekend 2  July 14 – 15
Weekend 3  July 21 – 22
Weekend 4  July 28 – 29

11am – 6pm Meet the artists in their studios

Cambridge Open Studios                            

...also taking place in Saffron Walden & District!

Look out for these yellow flags in July

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.