Thursday 5 January 2012

Winter Bird Watch II

Curlew
Numenius arquata
Rock pipit
Anthus petrosus
Stonechat (f)
Saxicola torquata
Wren
Troglodytes troglodytes
Oystercatcher
Heamatopus ostralegus
Hooded crow
Corvus corone cornix
Herring gull
Larus argentatus
Mute swan
Cygnus olor

With the changed
weather today, I was able to partake in a spot of calm birdwatching on my near-by strand this morning, followed by a visit to peaceful Lough Hyne this afternoon, in the hope of observing some interesting behaviour by the herring gulls. However, there was a failure to perform, as a bagful of bread supplied by a passing visitor was far more tasty than fishing for their own supper.

It was surprising how quickly quite a little collection was made in this candid snapshot album today. Whilst most of the birds were merely common species with some being purely coastal dwellers, I am still really hoping to see one not so common red-beaked member of the crow family whilst I'm here in West Cork. I have actually seen it once before during the winter months, but annoyingly didn't have my camera to hand at the time. Needless to say, I would be 'chuffed to bits' if I did see it again.

I will keep looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.