Wednesday 28 December 2011

Fairy Ring in December



Whilst out with mutt yesterday, we came across this distinct feature. If I hadn't have known any better, I could have imagined some sort of alien visit had taken place in the corner of this field. However, a quick investigation revealed exactly what I was looking for.

Nestled in the lush green grass, as I suspected, were Agaricus campestris or the common field mushroom. Nothing unusual here then apart from it being late December. I would have more commonly anticipated spotting this feature during the Autumn after a shower of rain and when it was still mild. Seeing though, that we have had a warm dry Autumn, fungi were noted by their absence this year. So, it has been left to this mild (12 deg C) December and the recent spell of rain, to encourage this late show of Autumnal behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.