Wednesday 2 November 2011

The Rot Sets In


What with the tiny drop of rain that came yesterday, coupled with the mild temperatures, it has finally coerced another Autumn spectacle to begin its show.

These particular clusters of fungi appear each year on an old rotting tree stump that I pass regularly. I have been waiting for their re-emergence this year as another photo opportunity. They start off looking like either a minature chrysanthemum or a cross between a perfectly baked confection and a nicely toasted coconut teacake. But however appealing they might look, I certainly won't be tempted to eat these, as yet, unidentified fungi. Instead I will just watch and wait for the next display to make a magical overnight appearance.

Cluster. Each approximately 20mm in diameter

Larger, more developed flattened fruit about 60mm across

Identification welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.