Sunday 14 August 2011

Apple


I have been 'commanding' for around twelve months now, and I still can't get used to it. As an established Macintosh user, I had become accustomed to saying in my head; 'Apple - C' copy; 'Apple - V' paste and so on, for the other keyboard short-cuts. So when I upgraded my very old Mac for a new Mac last year, I gave up a well-used and tired keyboard for a swish new one. It felt lovely but there was one thing that just wasn't right.

To those who are equally familiar with the old Macs they will recognise too that that little mark of individuality, the apple, had vanished no doubt under the guise of conformity, and been replaced with 'cmd'. It doesn't even sound nice when you try to say it in your head. If anything, cmd when said in your head just makes it feel that the gaffer-tape gag has been put in place to ensure you can't say it out loud. Apple is a much nicer and happier word to say, (and is much more fun when teaching youngsters too) Even if cmd is said out aloud as the full word - command, it has a pompous air about it, and as much as I would like to command my computer to do what it is told, sometimes, I do feel that coercing it with apples was much nicer.

I have to admit, I still hear myself saying 'apple' and get annoyed when I can't find the key, so somehow I don't think I will ever become a commander.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this photo! im saving up for a mac book pro =]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog.
Please feel free to share this post and I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.